Severe winds can occur at any time and can also accompany severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, or tropical storms. Flying debris or downed trees and power lines can make severe winds a threat to your safety, property, and utilities.
While you can’t prevent severe winds from happening, there are simple, low-cost ways to prepare your home, minimize damage and also recover quickly. The experts at Gutterman Services have created a list of easy ways to prepare your home for a windstorm.
7 Ways To Prepare Your Washington DC Metro Area Home For Wind Damage
1) Review your insurance policy – Taking a few minutes to understand your homeowner’s insurance policy and verifying your coverage can help you process a claim in the future and get back on your feet faster after a storm.
2) Document your home’s contents – Having a list of all your belongings will help with the insurance claims process. Consider documenting your contents visually, either by taking photos of high-value items or walking through your home and videotaping your belongings for reference.
3) Unplug electrical appliances – To prevent power-surge damage, make sure to unplug all appliances until after the storm is over. You can protect your electronics from power strikes with surge protectors.
4) Inspect your roof – Your roof is your first line of defense in a high wind event. If you notice any missing or loose shingles, have them re-adhered. If you need roof repair, click here. Also, consider installing roof strappings to anchor the roof framing to the wall framings so the wind can’t lift your roof off your house.
5) Trim damaged trees and limbs – High winds can cause trees and branches to fall. Make sure any damaged trees on the property are trimmed or removed on a regular basis.
6) Secure objects – Your dog’s house, trash cans, patio furniture and sports equipment can be picked up by the wind and cause damage to your home. Be sure to secure these items or bring them inside, if possible.
7) Seal cracks and gaps – Check the caulking around windows and doors to be sure it isn’t cracked, broken or missing. Fill any holes or gaps around pipes or wires that enter your building with a waterproof sealant.
Our Experts Are Standing By To Help
In the event that the exterior of your property suffers any damage, rest assured that the Gutterman Services team is here to help! Click here to get started.